Monday, January 02, 2012

Growing Hope

As I think back over the last year and consider what I need for the twelve months to come one deep desire rises in my mind and heart - Hope. 

In 2012 I need hope to spring forth even when all seems dead and lost. I need hope that cares not for the surface level but holds on for what is underneath. I need the kind of hope that grows in our garden.

There were three particularly noteworthy occurrences in our balcony garden over the last few months. All shouting out messages of hope.

A new orchid sprouted from one of the branches of a dead orchid. New roots and green leaves grew in mid-air. Hope precariously attached to a lifeless plant.   

An all but dead mini rose plant produced one tiny perfect flower.  Bright pink hope blooming among brown decaying branches. 

Nine new plants sprang up in a pot we did not seed. Hope thriving even when we did nothing to nurture it’s growth.

It is so easy to become discouraged. An impoverished world perishes while we sit in comfort unable to move to the mission field for lack of flight experience. Millions of precious children go to sleep again tonight without parents while we and others are stuck in a sluggish system with overly burdened social workers or are prevented from moving forward for lack of funds.  Heaviness weighs in, but hope does not abandon.

The needs of the world are great, but I know the One who is greater. It is only a matter of time until our hopes are realized. As evidenced in my garden I may see little or no growth at the moment, but roots and hope strengthen beneath the surface.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

No comments: