Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Rocky Ground


My family spent a lot of time at Galveston Beach when I was a kid. Even as an adult, happy memories rush back at the smell and feel of my skin sticky from sea water. We swam, collected shells, speared jelly fish, and caught crabs. The best place to catch crabs was the rock pool. With arms outstretched for balance I would carefully step barefooted through the rocks in search of crabs large enough to eat.   

Although the rock pool was the best place to find crabs, it was also dangerous for little feet. One time I had my sights set on a crab just in front of me and in the process of positioning myself for the capture stepped backwards onto another crab. What pain! My grandfather made me stand in the sea to disinfect the wound.

I still navigate rocky ground. All week we have been looking forward to tomorrow. Our first home study visit with the new case worker! We heard wonderful things about this lady and felt we were finally moving forward again. Today she called me at work to cancel tomorrow’s appointment and let me know we’d been reassigned once again.

I called the new case worker, Bill, and we have a visit set with him for next Tuesday. Turns out that I actually met Bill back in November when prepping for Adoption Awareness Month. I was put in touch with Bill for profile cards of children waiting for adoption in our County. Bill remembered me too and remarked, “See, we’re already starting well.” I think so too.

Although frustrating to start with someone new for the third time, I’ve noticed my balance getting better. Sure, the rocks wobbled and I struggled a bit to keep upright, but I didn’t fall. In reality it doesn’t matter if the rocks shift because I’m not walking alone. Wobbly rocks just strength my trust in the One who steadies me. 

Psalm 40:2
He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along..

No comments: